What to Do After Being in a Commercial Vehicle Accident
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA, reported 4, 311 trucks and buses were in fatal car crashes in 2015. Commercial vehicle accidents can be a scary experience. You might worry about the future and how insurance will work out, but you don’t have to go through this alone.
The Milwaukee car accident lawyers at Urban & Taylor know how much an accident can upend your life. We want to help you get back on your feet. We can go over your case and guide you through the claims process. Our attorneys are always ready to answer questions and address any concerns you have.
What Should You Do Immediately After the Crash?
After being involved in a commercial vehicle crash—whether it involves a truck, tractor trailer, big rig, bus, or a commercial passenger vehicle—you might be at a loss for what to do. Your actions after an accident could influence your claim and compensation. Knowing what to do will keep you safe and could benefit you in the future.
- Check for Injuries. See if you and the other people around you need immediate medical attention. You should call an ambulance because the shock of an accident can mask symptoms of injuries.
- Move off the Road. If you can, move the cars involved in the accident off the road so you’re not blocking traffic.
- Call the Police. Contact the police and report the facts to the officers. Don’t guess information because this could hurt your claim later, or apologize for the accident because it admits fault.
- Exchange Information. Get the information from the other party or parties involved in the crash. You’ll want their name, contact information, insurance information, and car information. If there are any witnesses willing to make a statement, get their name and number.
- See a Doctor. After the accident, see a doctor as soon as possible. You could have injuries that you didn’t know about, and waiting for treatment can make them worse and you might not get full compensation for it.
- Contact a Car Accident Lawyer. While insurance companies might make you think that you have to settle as soon as possible, this isn’t the case. Call a car accident lawyer so you can file your claim with confidence that you’ve taken all the right steps.
Who Is at Fault?
While it’s important to not admit fault and wait for the facts to come in, you might find that you weren’t correct about who was at fault in the accident. You could be certain that the other party was at fault, but not know other aspects that caused it.
- Driver. It’s possible the commercial vehicle driver was driving recklessly. They could have been speeding, tailgating, or under the influence. But they also could have been exhausted because they’re overworked and not getting enough sleep.
- System Failure. The driver might not have been at fault. The brakes or steering systems could have failed and caused the crash. This could be the manufacturer’s or a mechanic’s fault.
The skilled lawyers at Urban & Taylor are ready to fight for your rights and get compensation for your pain and suffering, lost wages, and injuries. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a commercial vehicle accident, call us today at (866) 720-7232 for a free consultation.
List of the Top Vaccine Injuries
Important 2018 Wisconsin Law Changes